Householder development

Home improvements come in a variety of forms, including extensions, conservatories, carports, decking, sheds and swimming pools, etc. They may be carried out at the home or in the garden. Most require permission in some form or another, such as Building Regulations approval, landlord consent or planning permission (although an increasing number are now exempt from the latter). Planning permission is, however, one of the most complicated approval processes a home owner is likely to encounter.

This section is maintained by Alan Gunne-Jones, a Chartered Town Planner and Managing Director of Planning & Development Associates Ltd.