Improving standards and reducing risk on block maintenance
Applying a strategic approach when it comes to managing the maintenance of blocks of flats will save considerable time and money and ultimately increase the asset value over time.
This section assists all stakeholders responsible for managing and maintaining blocks of flats. It provides a best practice guide to planning, preparing and budgeting for major works and maintenance, including the importance of selecting the right professionals and contractors, as well as effective project management. It also explains some of the most common pitfalls and how to avoid them. In summary, the section covers:
- planned maintenance programmes and capital expenditure plans;
- legal and professional obligations associated with major works;
- the importance of a detailed survey and specification;
- contractor selection, procurement and competitive tendering;
- contract documentation;
- appointing the contractor;
- common oversights when preparing for major works;
- maintaining blocks of flats - common mistakes and how to avoid them; and
- the importance of an appropriately experienced project manager.