Compulsory purchase orders
- powers and limits of compulsory purchase and
- what can be acquired under a compulsory purchase order (CPO).
Certain types of land may be protected, and whether a CPO is appropriate needs to be carefully assessed. There are procedures to follow, from the handling of objections through public inquiries to proceedings in the Upper Tribunal.
Compensation may be payable, both in situations where an interest in land is acquired, and where it is not. There are rules to follow for:
- purchase and blight notices
- fees and costs
- agricultural land and buildings and
- other important aspects such as home loss.
This section is maintained by Nick Carter, John Davies and Alice Stephens of JLL.
RICS standards: Compulsory purchase: how is it working?