Party walls construction

Most construction projects will affect another building in some way. Owners of adjoining buildings should be notified and the details of the work agreed with them.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 confers these rights and duties on a developer intending to carry out building works or excavations close to a boundary. (Despite its name, the Act applies not just to party walls.) The Act offers a compulsory dispute resolution mechanism through the appointment of surveyors.

Surveyors' agreement is recorded in an award, which must be served immediately on the owners. Either owner may appeal against it in the county court.

This section is maintained by Anne-Marie Lusty of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP.

Related content