Defects claims may arise during the defects liability period (or maintenance period) after completion of the project or at any time during the limitation period (often referred to as 'latent' defects).
Chartered surveyors are often the first source of advice on defects claims, either because they were involved in the construction of the project or because the client's principal and immediate concern is to rectify the defect. The question of compensation comes later.
Chartered surveyors should understand how defects claims can be brought, as well as understand their client's entitlement to financial recovery.
RICS standards and guidance
- RICS property measurement
- UK commercial real estate agency
- New rules of measurement
- QS and construction standards
- Residential property standards
- Valuation standards
- List of RICS standards and guidance
- RICS standards and guidance archive