This section gives background information on the nature and different types of asbestos, the health risks arising and the regulatory framework. It also provides practical guidance on matters arising for surveyors, including the identification of the types of asbestos, sampling asbestos, asbestos surveys and management plans. Common mistakes in relation to asbestos are described along with advice to help avoid them.
Related RICS professional guidance
Related checklists and templates
RICS standards and guidance
- RICS property measurement
- UK commercial real estate agency
- New rules of measurement
- QS and construction standards
- Residential property standards
- Valuation standards
- List of RICS standards and guidance
- RICS standards and guidance archive
- Asbestos legislation
- Types of asbestos
- Finding and sampling asbestos
- Key legal cases and prosecutions
- Asbestos management plans
- 'Material assessment' v 'priority assessment'?
- When does a surveyor require health surveillance?
- What regulations apply and what are the risks associated with 'Artex' or similar decorative coatings?
- How should asbestos-containing decorative coatings be removed?
- What training is required for persons involved with asbestos?
- Rules for Type 3 asbestos surveys - for agreeing the scope of the survey, etc.
- Common mistakes in relation to asbestos
- Further information on asbestos