Assessing building services
Assessing building services
Services account for a major proportion of the cost of a modern building. If defective they can cause considerable inconvenience to occupants, require costly repairs and in some cases pose a serious threat to health and safety. As a result the liability associated with assessing services has increased, leaving many residential property practitioners lacking confidence when it comes to their inspections.
The building services addressed in this section are:
Related RICS professional guidance
Asbestos and its implications for surveyors and their clients, 3rd edition, 2011. (Being 2011, the legislation in this document is out of date, but the guidance is useful – The HSE website provides up to date guidance on legislation and procedures.
BIM for building surveyors, 1st edition, 2016.
Design and specification, 1st edition, 2013.
Facilities management information and data management, 1st edition, 2011.
Health and safety for residential property managers, 1st edition, 2016.
Historic building conservation, 1st edition, 2009.
International BIM implementation, 1st edition, 2014.
Lessons learned, 1st edition, 2016.
Measured surveys of land buildings and utilities, 3rd edition, 2014.
Resource management: improving efficiency and reducing waste, 1st edition, 2016.
Security, 2nd edition, 2014.
Strategic facilities management, 1st edition, 2013.
Surveying safely, 1st edition, 2011 (currently being redrafted).
Sustainability: improving performance in existing buildings, 1st edition, 2013.
The above list of RICS guidance and information papers is not meant to be comprehensive. A full list of guidance from the RICS can be found in the guidance resource.
RICS standards and guidance
- RICS property measurement
- UK commercial real estate agency
- New rules of measurement
- QS and construction standards
- Residential property standards
- Valuation standards
- List of RICS standards and guidance
- RICS standards and guidance archive
- A history of neglect
- A changing regulatory environment
- Increasing concern over safety issues
- Warnings in standard survey forms
- Assessing services that can kill
- What is the surveyor's role?
- Building your advice
- What are building services?
- Who are the specialists?
- Useful links to the competent persons scheme
- Assessing electrical installations
- Inspecting water services
- Cold water supply systems
- The properties of water
- Rising main - internally
- Cold water storage systems
- Hot and cold water pipe work
- Noisy plumbing
- The problem of backflow on water supplies
- Hot water
- Renewable technologies
- Electrical water heating systems
- Sanitary fittings
- Factsheet: cold water services
Heating systems and their fuels
- Fuels used for heating dwellings
- Heating systems
- Generic issues
- Heating installation: other general issues
- Additional provisions for other types of heating system
- Electric heating
- Types of electrical heating systems
- Factsheet: Heating
- Factsheet: Cooling
- Factsheet: Ventilation, comfort cooling and air-conditioning
- Further information