isurv Planning what's new?
As part of RICS' response to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on the built environment, each isurv channel has moved to a rolling update cycle to ensure content is as up to date as possible. This page will be updated with new updates to reflect the changing situation as it develops.
Making a planning application
In light of recent developments, this section has been heavily updated. Topics to check out include:
- changes to permitted development rights and use classes as a result of COVID-19's economic fallout;
- the protection of specific uses during the pandemic;
- The August 2020 government consultation Changes to the Current Planning System;
- the government's Planning White Paper: Planning for the Future, including radical changes to the local planning system;
- the effect of the Business and Planning Act 2020 on planning permission deadlines, construction site working hours and environmental approval;
- publicity for applications during the COVID-19 pandemic, including holding local authority meetings;
- new guidance for CIL charging and collecting authorities during the pandemic; and
- changes to the Use Classes Order table.
Planning conditions and obligations
With the autumn updates to this section, new information has been added on the following topics:
- the impact of the Business and Planning Act 2020, brought in as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic;
- recent case law on the imposition of planning conditions; and
- the phasing out of Grampian conditions.
Environmental impact assessment
Updates to this section relate to updated guidance from the Planning Inspectorate regarding COVID-19 and proposed government reforms to the planning system.
This section has been updated with information on new case law, new guidance from Historic England and links to relevant recent legislation.
See iConsult to review the latest RICS standards and guidance drafts.