Completion of works is an important milestone. It is a date that has a significant impact on payment, risk and damages.
At this point the employer will usually take possession of the site and assume responsibility for loss or damage to the works. The right to deduct damages for delay, will come to an end and the defects liability or maintenance period will commence. This is also the time when the final account should be concluded.
Given the significance and implications of this important milestone, there is often some disagreement over when it has been achieved.
Related RICS professional guidance
- Document templates
- RICS standards and guidance
RICS standards and guidance
- RICS property measurement
- UK commercial real estate agency
- New rules of measurement
- QS and construction standards
- Residential property standards
- Valuation standards
- List of RICS standards and guidance
- RICS standards and guidance archive