Advice on insurance should be undertaken with caution and deferred to specialists as often as possible. Surveyors who do provide insurance advice may find it necessary, in the future, to be regulated as insurance intermediaries.
The insurance needs of a project are detailed in the contract, for example, the JCT’s standard forms of contract gives 3 options for insuring the works. Insurance provision should be detailed and planned for as part of the project plan.
As a contractor’s insurance is not usually project specific, it should be checked as part of this process with regard to the details of the project.
Related RICS professional guidance
RICS standards and guidance
- RICS property measurement
- UK commercial real estate agency
- New rules of measurement
- QS and construction standards
- Residential property standards
- Valuation standards
- List of RICS standards and guidance
- RICS standards and guidance archive
- Construction insurance provisions
- Construction insurance types